Sunday, January 31, 2010

January 31, 2010

Today I read "The Apple Ipad: First Impressions" by the NY Times blogger David Pogue. He was talking about the new Apple Ipad, set to debut in April. The author appears to be warning people not to judge the Apple Ipad too quickly...he says "Criticims of 'Like a laptop', and 'a big Ipod Touch' don't really do justice to the possibilities".

I admit, I'm not sure I see the potential yet of this new product. It is basically a screen without a keyboard, a memory slot, and very expensive...when the Ipad goes on sale, it will start at $499 for a 16-gig memory, and go up to $830 for 64 gigs. It seems rather expensive, and more for viewing videos or talking on the phone than anything. And while there is an app for Word and other similar applications, I can't imagine it would be very easy to work with just a screen--no keyboard--when creating documents or anything else, for that matter.

David Progue seems to believe that as the product becomes available, the people that are currently "bashing" the Ipad will change their minds as has happened in the past with products like the Ipod and Iphone.

But, I am an accountant, and as such, have a limit to "thinking outside the box". Perhaps this tablet will be the next best thing since sliced bread? If so, I will be among the group of people Progue is talking about!

No comments:

Post a Comment